The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, says the Ghanaian Government has apologized to Nigeria over the attack on its High Commission in Ghana.
While addressing reporters on Monday at the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, the minister promised to ensure those behind the attack were brought to book.
According to him, the attack was reportedly carried out by non-state actors, a group of people who are claiming ownership of the same land where the Nigeria High Commission cited.
“What we can say is that it was a non-state actor that was involved; it was not the government and it was not government-sanctioned,” Onyeama said.
He added, “We have engaged with the highest level of authority in Ghana, it appears that they have some people claiming that they have legitimate entitle over that piece of land.”
A businessman had on Friday last week demolished the staff quarters of the Nigeria High Commission in Ghana, claiming the structure was built on his land.
The authorities in Nigeria and Ghana have condemned the incident.